DEPARTMENT OF PHARMACEUTICAL SERVICES
The Department of Pharmaceutical Services, Delta State University Teaching Hospital (DELSUTH), Oghara is one of the clinical departments in the hospital. It operates from a central and six (6) decentralized pharmacy location. It has full accreditation with the Pharmacist Council of Nigeria (PCN) and the West African College of Pharmacists (WAPCP) for the provision of pharmaceutical services and training.
Education and training
The department provides training at the pharmacy undergraduate and graduate levels (industrial training, clerkship for undergraduate and postgraduate pharmacy students and WAPCP pharmacy residents). We have trained four (4) sets of pharmacist intern graduates from accredited pharmacy schools within and outside the shores of Nigeria. Our graduate interns have 100% success rate at the yearly PCN administered pre-registration examination. The 5th set of interns are currently in training. The department has trained 2 (two) fellows of the WAPCP while two (2) are still carrying out their residency training. The department is providing mentorship to other hospital Pharmacists across the country; who come to understudy our services and have adopted some of our services at their centers.
Future Plans of the Department
- Aseptic compounding of sterile IV admixtures (CIVA) and chemotherapeutics, for use within DELSUTH and other hospitals (Contract manufacturing).
- Computerization with a Pharmacy specific Information System integrated with the DELSUTH wide Information System.
- Statewide medicines information hotline and poisons control center.
Services provided by the department include but not limited to:
- Procurement through the Drug Revolving Fund (DRF) Committee, storage, and distribution Of drugs and medical consumables
- Prescription assessment, dispensing and counseling Of patients
- Extemporaneous compounding
- Drug information/ pharma-covigilance services
- Emergency pharmacy services
- Provision Of Specialized Clinical Nutrition support both for DELSUTH patients and consultancy services for Other hospitals per request.
- Pre-packing Of at least 74 types Of medical, anaesthetic, and surgical specialty packs.
- Clinical drug rounds.
- Supports the establishment Of new medical service units within the hospital and their continuous accreditation with various regulatory bodies
- Participates in medical research and membership Of Hospital Research and Ethics Committee (HREC)
- Organizes and participate in seminars and workshops:
- Provision Of Total Parenteral nutrition,
- Vascular access in clinical nutrition
- wound care and management
The Department Of Pharmaceutical services has made publications in recognized journals notably; “Journal of Pharmacy Practice and “The Hospital Pharmacist”.