About the Delta State University Teaching Hospital- School of Health Information Management (DELSUTH – SHIM)
The Delta State University Teaching Hospital- School of Health Information Management was formally established on the 27th of March, 2022. It is set to open for studies in the 2022/2023 Academic Session in Oghara, Delta State.
History of School of Health Information Management, DELSUTH
Mrs Chinyere G.N. Idiapho was tasked with the responsibility of writing and presenting the proposal for the school same to the DELSUTH management. This was done in 2013.
Following her employment as Head of the Health Information Management Department for DELSUTH in 2014, Mrs C.G.N. Idiapho continued with her efforts to have the hospital’s management approve the establishment of the school.
In 2017, the State Chairman of AHRIMPN, Mr Charles Kokole led some members of his executive council to pay a courtesy visit to the then newly appointed Chief Medical Director (CMD) Professor Onome Ogueh. The primary issue presented to the CMD was the desire of AHRIMPN, Delta State Chapter to partner with the hospital’s management to establish a SHIM in DELSUTH. The CMD assured the Chairman that he would be very willing to partner with the Association and promised that he would look seriously into our request.
On the 27th of March 2022, formal approval was given by the management of Professor Ogueh for the establishment of SHIM, DELSUTH, Oghara in the 2022/2023 Academic Session.
Objectives of the School
- To transmit a body of knowledge to students for them to meet the information needs of all healthcare providers
- To increase the student’s capacity to be creative, be able to communicate effectively and interact with other healthcare professionals/providers in delivering quality care to the patients
- Provide students with adequate knowledge and skills needed to pass professional and licensing examinations by the Health Records Officers’ Registration Board of Nigeria.
- To inculcate in the students a culture of maintaining high standards in health information management as a profession.
- To train the next generation of health information professionals who will be grounded in research and programme development.
To train highly competent Health Information Professionals who would impact the health sector to provide world-class service.
The school’s vision will be to provide students with knowledge of best international practices in Health Information Management.